Monday, February 23, 2009

index card book.







I bought my first pack of 3 by 5 index cards in about 6 years for this class to collect notes on. I realized that they were perfectly suited for my method of note taking. I am always running around doing one thing or another and have a terrible habit of being reminded of something and then forgetting by the time I get to doing it. I have tried to use a whiteboard but it got so messy and disorganized, it also took up too much space. Then I just reverted back to my old methods of writing all over my arms to remind myself. I carried around a notebook for a while but found that because of its permanence I could never quite deem something important enough to put into it. This stems from a weird organizational thing that I have, sorta ocd like. You cadn ask my girlfriend, she is always giving me a hard time about it. The other day I type up my grocery list onto a scrap of paper with a typewriter.

I found that having index cards laying on my desk I could jot down a note and tack them to a piece of cork board I have. Then I would just keep adding onto the same card until it was full, crossing things off as I get them out of the way and eventually throwing out the card and replacing it with a new one. They were garbage so I could write down anything and once I didn't need the note I didn't have to have it anymore.

So I made two books. One of them is simply a pad of index cards. I glued them a spine so that I can sit them on my desk and tear them off as though they were post it notes. The other book is a pocket one, made with the left over cards I made a hardback book that is extremely simple but with a serious cover and binding. This is for more serious notes but will probably remain empty for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment