Monday, February 23, 2009

at the feet of the master

images to come soon

When I was growing up my dad would often make references to a book that his best friend had when he was in his early 20s, my age. It was a book on philosophy and he found it so appealing and helpful that between shows as a traveling musician he would sit at a typewriter and recopy each page, formatting it into quarter sheets of a page so he could eventually make a pocket version of it. He had never finished typing it and about a year ago he gave me the bicycle that he rode back in those days, quite the nice hand me down. As a thank you I found the entire text and formatted it into a book for him. I trimmed and bound the book and even made the font size larger, as he refuses to wear glasses. I made myself a small version and found myself drawn to it in a similar way that he was I'd imagine.

A few weeks ago I printed out the pdf I had of it and was rereading some parts, I actually think I pulled some quotes from it for class. My girlfriend picked it up and to my delight really liked the book and what it had to say. She asked me for a copy of it and this is what I made her. It is a more stable serious book than the one I made for my dad, but it is also more hand made. Each page is torn and folded by hand. I used no rulers or exactos. The basic format of the pages shifted because I had printed on larger sheets but it seemed to fit more appropriately with the handmade quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment