I was exploring some old folders on my computer trying to find some of the original files from my past years here for Senior Portfolio class. One of the files I had was just called romantemplate.ai. I opened it having a brief recognition for what the roman template was but without having used one ever and not seeing one for about a year. My first thought was how interesting of an instrument it was. Not many people know this about me, because I generally try to steer clear of it, but I am super mathematical and really like working towards perfection in forms. This is no doubt why I became a graphic designer. The use of computers let me achieve more perfect form and it seemed to be the medium that allowed me to express myself in this way best. Most work I have done here in school is the opposite. I tend to do really chaotic or handmade work. This is for two reasons. The first is that I am trying to explore new things, develop more of a style in college. The second is that I physically wouldn't have enough time in my life to complete the workload here in that manner. When I am trying to do something mathematical or precise I work for days and days on a single thing until I can no longer find flaws in it.
This reminds me of another quote from Frank Frazetta, an amazing Fantasy artist that I have come to admire greatly. I was watching a documentary about his life and when asked if he was happy with his finished work he said that he was because it is all perfect. The second he realizes it isn't perfect (yes, even if it is hanging on a museum wall) he keeps painting until he sees no flaws. In the documentary he challenges anyone to critique any of his paintings and explain how they could be better.
Back to the roman template. Upon finding it I got really excited about the possibilities of what I could do with it. I knew I thought it was cool but how could I make it practical and into a design problem that I could come up with a solution to? I first thought of a big poster. 26 templates. People would just casually design capitals. Then I thought that a poster isn't very casual, it had to be pocket size. It inspired me to make a 26 page book with a template on every page and a grid behind. If architects can have special books why can't a designer. Now I need to make another and use it.
No comments:
Post a Comment