I don't really collect much of anything because I generally don't like to have a lot of odds and ends around. I am fairly organized and I feel like collections just end up building up stacks of worthless things. There was however one point in my life when I was very interested in coin magic. Not really for any reason other than to pass the time when I was sitting around places. Because of this I sort of accidentally created a collection. Coin slights involve mostly larger coins in order for the coins to be palmed. Since it is rare to stumble upon a coin that is larger than a quarter in American currency I began to set aside any large coins that I came across. Some of them are US currency and I have various others from around the world. Even in the documentation of these coins I noticed some varying differences. The coins themselves are composed of different metals, have different shapes, different values, and different imagery on them. As I began to flip each individual coin to document that backsides of them I realized that the coins also had other differences among them that were common among the country of origin. One of the main things that I began to notice was that the US coins were created so that the front and back imagery were reversed top and bottom so that as you flip the coin from left to right the imagery appears upside down, hinting that the coin is meant to be flipped on a horizontal axis top over bottom so that the imagery remains upright to the viewer. All coins except the one from hong kong are perfect circles and the hong kong coin along with the chile coin are the only two to not feature a portrait on the face. The coins help to show what is of value to each country and what it would like to be represented by. I found the collection to be more interesting than I had initially imagined especially in the sense (cents) that the reason I began the collection had nothing to do with the coins details at all, rather that they were the correct size. I hadn't inspected them and was surprised at their similarities and differences.
Monday, March 2, 2009
differences #11
I don't really collect much of anything because I generally don't like to have a lot of odds and ends around. I am fairly organized and I feel like collections just end up building up stacks of worthless things. There was however one point in my life when I was very interested in coin magic. Not really for any reason other than to pass the time when I was sitting around places. Because of this I sort of accidentally created a collection. Coin slights involve mostly larger coins in order for the coins to be palmed. Since it is rare to stumble upon a coin that is larger than a quarter in American currency I began to set aside any large coins that I came across. Some of them are US currency and I have various others from around the world. Even in the documentation of these coins I noticed some varying differences. The coins themselves are composed of different metals, have different shapes, different values, and different imagery on them. As I began to flip each individual coin to document that backsides of them I realized that the coins also had other differences among them that were common among the country of origin. One of the main things that I began to notice was that the US coins were created so that the front and back imagery were reversed top and bottom so that as you flip the coin from left to right the imagery appears upside down, hinting that the coin is meant to be flipped on a horizontal axis top over bottom so that the imagery remains upright to the viewer. All coins except the one from hong kong are perfect circles and the hong kong coin along with the chile coin are the only two to not feature a portrait on the face. The coins help to show what is of value to each country and what it would like to be represented by. I found the collection to be more interesting than I had initially imagined especially in the sense (cents) that the reason I began the collection had nothing to do with the coins details at all, rather that they were the correct size. I hadn't inspected them and was surprised at their similarities and differences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
stacks of worthless things
ReplyDeleteto pass the time