Monday, February 9, 2009

spine.

I think that this reading on the concept of a "spine" was fairly useful. It seemed to me that the part of the reading that best communicated the idea of "spine" was in the author's comparison to the novel "The Natural". This best communicated the notion because I too was unaware of the underlying Grail reference in the book(although honestly I have only ever seen the movie). This helped for me to acknowledge that although a spine may exist in the initial creation of or in the background of a story it doesn't need to be apparent in its final production. The idea of story, theme, and spine also seemed to settle well with me. I liked that the spine was almost a hidden motivation behind the piece. I found that the manner in which the author wrote made me care much less about what was being said concerning the spine and rather I focused on the aggressive nature in the authors tone. "you may think that, but you'd be wrong" is the response he/she gives towards the readers notion that perhaps they don't need a spine. I have gotten along well enough without this "spine" to this point, perhaps it just being that I have kept it in mind without ever having named it. Within the next paragraph the author writes that the spine is a tool. This seems like a much more reasonable outlook on it. I enjoyed the thought of a spine really helping you along the creative process. Making your working much more efficient in both time and energy along the way. I can see how it would help to really drive you through the middle grounds of an assignment, especially if you really enjoy the time working over the finished result. Overall I felt as though this article was more about the authors feats as a dance choreographer than the explanation of a creative concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment